Crunch: Cool vs. Crazy
I'm not going to ask 'is it me' because that is a very silly question in the first place, and the answer to that anyway is 'No, it clearly isn't'. Not only has the Credit Crunch (capitalised, and no pun intended) seemed to bring out the worst in people, but on the odd occasion, they've even turned away my cash.
They say, 'Businesses are desperate and begging us for work', but is this cheap argument manipulating the Crunch a justified reason for buyers to throw moody tantrums? Sometimes I wonder how some of the companies I know of still succeed assuming they employ a consistent approach when dealing with customers/staff and suppliers. Unfortunately, it seems you either have to put up with their agression or pack up. I choose not to consider the motto 'If you can't beat 'em, join' em' because my conscience wouldn't allow me to lower my standards to their expectations, otherwise what would make me different?
Might I just add that if you speak a brand of English that sounds like some kind of knitting gone wrong that you've left me to unravel, isn't it acceptable to have the option of asking you to repeat slower so I can understand your terms? Oh, no. The accountants had gone home (punctually of course), so you cannot take my order. Nevermind, when I ask to read the contract again, you throw it accross the desk and pitch me the pen as if it's some kind of ball game. And when I threaten I'm going to take my business elsewhere because of your attitude, your screeching manager invites me to do so.
There are, however, some really cool people out there who maintain their coolness despite the troubles that even they themselves are probably facing. People's jobs are on the line, and they still remain cheerful and deliver great customer service. It's at times like these that you value companies that don't cut corners and continue to provide you with the service you expect - perhaps not better, but at least you know where you stand - and this customer confidence will pay off in the long-term.
3 comments:
maintaining coolness should always be the standard.. regardless if having personal problems back home or business pressure.
those who work in the first line (those who deal with customers) should always smile, maintain their cool and be professional.
Yeah! Fat chance of finding those kinds by the bucketload in our neck of the woods! And when one does come across them, it's like the discovery of a rare gem: sad but true!
What business are we talking about here? As far as I am concerned < I have noticed an improvement in customer service :-)
Post a Comment