Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Post-Races post

If you want to see a whole load of Sharons and Garys, you know where to head. This year was an eyesore - flimsy Chinese silk emerald green dresses with black lace trimmings, and men with the usual pinstripe suits and bowler hats - didn't I say so? Bowtie.. yes...I saw a plain black one - thank goodness it wasn't multicoloured, or else I would have thrown a fit.

I don't even need to ellaborate on the costume details. A multitude of evening dresses for a garden party-style event just said it all. The local press stand took up about half the area, girls and boys lining up (for their photos to be taken) until the sun went down. Beer-lovers filled the greens as if it were a local pub in the local village. They danced all night to the tunes of the Northern DJ who surely paid a handsome fee to have a spot at the event, just to raise his profile back home with the local townies. I can't imagine anyone understood what he was saying anyway, but the odd lager or two would serve to alleviate the torture he was inflicting on the general public.

Lisptick and mascara filled the ladies' portacabins, the mirrors being more popular than the loos themselves. As the night continued, queues went on for miles, and conversations became even more dilute. No wonder cameramen were camped outside the portacabins.

Quote of the night at the B Lounge: Boyfriend says to girlfriend, as they walk past bouncers: "Let's get just one drink in 'ere and we'll pop out to get anotha' "

(Whoops, drunk driver just crashed outside my house into a palm tree!! Must have been Sharon & Gary! - I got my camera out and they sped off...hmm!)

Well, it was an interesting night, and moreso, an interesting sight.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have yet to see a Woman really WEAR a Dress.

I have yet to see a Man really WEAR a Suit.

I mean really WEAR one as in elegance.

Surely, not one of those off the hanger RTW (ready-to-wear) ones.

Taunted said...

So it really was you Shazza, I thought the blue knees and dodgy stilettos were a dead give away.

(And If you've ever been to the Bigg Market on a weekend night you'll know exactly what I mean...)

LOL

i*maginate said...

*jim sullivan RTW: Hmm...I guess it might be easy to spot a RTW if you're male but I certainly couldn't spot one. When you see a good suit, you just notice it's good coz it's well cut. Mind you, it's easy to have one tailor-made in Dubai. I know what you mean though. Dresses are a tough cookie. Unless they're made of heavy designer fabrics, they can look cheap. But a women in something that looks remotely good LOOKS GREAT...n'est-ce pas? Lucky women, we don't always need tailors!

*taunted LOL Shazza, eh? How could I possibly passed of as a Shazza? Errr...I don't think so mate ;) And where the heck is Bigg Market? I'm intrigued. Obviously missing out on some fantastic meat market!

Anonymous said...

But a woman in something that looks remotely good LOOKS GREAT...n'est-ce pas?

Si - Total Agreement.

Similar to a Woman that simply oozes of elegance no matter what she wears, attributed to this aura thing.

i*maginate said...

LOL so..."no matter what she wears". Can a woman still have an aura in her birthday suit? Or is that a different topic?! heheheh

"aura thing" lol - it's that je ne sais quoi factor I guess. A cleavage can accentuate the aura factor. Or does cleavage have nothing to do with aura? What's your opinion.

i*maginate said...

Thanks for doing my spellcheck by the way, I didn't notice I had written "a women". My English teacher would have had a heart attack.

Interesting how you use a capital W for "woman" in your comment! Women must love you!

Anonymous said...

I agree with your answer about 'The birthday suit is a different topic' and that also includes 'cleavage'.

I wouldn't know about 'Women must love you'. I know I adore One Woman.

And no, before you go being all nosey, I'm not broadcasting more on this Woman - LOL

Taunted said...

My ex thought she looked great in her birthday suit.

Then I asked her to get it ironed....

Anonymous said...

I apologize for using your blog. My name is Dr. Abdullah Ahmed Al-Ghamdi. I’m trying to spread this information that I consider useful for women, since Dubai authorities and newspapers have not helped us.
Last year my wife (a Muslim woman from a local family) was harassed by a chiropractor, Dr. Saukkonen. After much thinking at the end she filed a claimed to Dubai police and through our lawyers to other Emirates authorities but they neither took any measure against this man nor answered to us in a right way. This person still practices in Dubai, at a clinic in Jumeirah (British Lasik Center).
We were ignored by Dubai authorities, and considering that certain people are untouchable, we use this means to advice women not to rely on this person.
Thank you.

i*maginate said...

*jim sullivan nosy about your ONE Woman? The word would be "envious" ;) Not that I have any feelings in my comments of course, I'm a collection of online words lol.

*taunted you are Mean with a capital "M"! Wait, does the word men stem from mean?

*al-ghamdi are you a real person?

Anonymous said...

I looked great...tailored safari suits with matching cravats are the way forward

Taunted said...

http://www.7days.ae/en/2007/04/03/state-of-some-race-goers-was-a-disgrace.html

Looks like your thoughts the other day happened!

i*maginate said...

I saw that over the weekend! It was hilarious...very well written. I just didn't think my readership would know the difference betweeen chavs and toffs loooool