Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The blogs I love to dislike

Oh yeah, I love a good fight! BUT there are no mischievous intentions behind this post. Just speaking my mind - & I bet a lot of you think the same as me when it comes to some blogs but just didn't feel strongly enough to dedicate a post to the topic: the blogs I love to dislike.

Just to get one thing clear, there is no cowardice in posting this. In real life, I wouldn't even bother giving these bloggers the time of day, and they'd know I don't respect their views. I would rather spend my time voicing my opinion to those who cared: there's no use in trying to knock some gratitude into these whining residents. Besides, I don’t mix with the "whispering" classes, whose main agenda is to deliberately spread nonsense and stir hatred. I wonder why they find it so difficult to appreciate the place we live in, when they've clearly chosen to settle here?

Here's a little analysis of the blogs I've come accross so far that I love to .. dislike! (I won't go into detail - if you have anything to add on the comment thread, go ahead) Drum roll, in no particular order:

Blog name: Secret Dubai shitpat, aka Secret Dubai diary
Nickname: secret dubai shitpat, aka secretdubai

The intellectual version of 7Days. Need I say more?



Blog name: Welcome to My Fucked up Personality aka Welcome to My Rebellious Kingdom
Nickname: fuckeduparablady, aka Arab Lady

Too fucked up to describe. She needs some psychotherapy from Hot Lemon & Honey. What the heck is this arablady doing on the loose?


Blog name: Emarati Dollar over Dirham, aka Emarati Nickel & Dime
Nickname: same as above

This guy can’t choose between the Dollar and the Dirham. Disappointing.

Blog name: A Local-Bashing Expatriate, aka A Local Expatriate
Nickname: a-local-bashing-expat, aka localexpat

This is one expat whose prime aim is to admittedly post controversial issues: a troublemaker with a huge chip on their shoulder. Just can't accept being second best.

*all bloglinks on the sidebar

Now, dear friends, have I missed out on any other blogs? And what lovely opinions would you like to share with me?


21 comments:

Absology said...

I haven't read all of them, but I got the gist a long time ago. So they became blogs I don't read, and don't like.

UaE ReBeL said...

you ought not to link their pages to yours, i*maginate, don't you think? the less traffic they get, the better.

I would comment on their site, but the last thing I want is a shitpat reading my site. I'll pull an incognito on them.

UaE ReBeL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hot Lemon& Honey said...

LOL why wasn't I surprised with your first choice of SD.
You know, most of the people who visit her blog are those who agree with her views and are expats like her.
Emarati N&D hmmm I think we should still give him the benefit of the doubt. He is has some interesting views.

ArabLady, I think she is just hurt, and confused by the double standards she can't get accustomed to. Give her time and it will all sink in.

LocalExpat, a disappointed, who is trying to find a place to fit in, he isn't able to take a stance on whether to like or hate the UAE.



UAE Rebel on the other hand is having some difficulties in commenting on anything I write. Being a person who reads into these kind of stuff, I could not help but come up with some hypothetical theories.

I am glad I am not on the love to dislike list...

di.di said...

wow... im speechless... in a way, u're so outspoken.. nothing bad about that... i wont comment anything bcoz i've never been to those blogs that u just mentioned.. someday, i will....

have a great weekend!!

Taunted said...

Aw, I'm just SO disappointed, you missed mine out..

Taunted goes to the corner and sulks!

clayfuture said...

Hey.. looks like you missed my blog! (whewww!) lol..

I know the other blogs and visit them now and then, but I agree with you on secret dubai diary. Too much hype and boring views on daily news articles. I'd rather read the newspaper. Anyways.. very popular blog tho.

Enjoy your weekend!

flamin said...

Hala woman! I guess we all have our list of likes and dislikes. I refrain from blogs that piss me off. When I was still new to blogging, I would voice that openly but realized that it drags you into more muck. So I keep a low profile intentionally. Like one of my close friends says: if you get involved into blogger fights, then your life must be really petty. lol!

Anonymous said...

A quickie for you Princess:

In your earlier post, you list two blogs writing stuff that makes you think.

While in your current post, you shit face one of those blogs that made you think!

Don't you think you're contradicting your own self?

If so, where's the logic?

i*maginate said...

Thanks to those who shared their opinion with me on some of the blogs - I'm glad to know we share similar views.


*travelling stranger Bad news sells, right? I keep reading, but disliking..

*uae_rebel I had been thinking about what you say here anyway and I am not so sure if I will remove the links or not...in a way, I'd rather they get the chipmunk traffic they deserve, & on the other hand, perhaps the less traffic the better!


*hot candy & nuts You're too sweet to make it on this dislike list ;) SD wasn't my first choice, it was in no particular order...EN&D: I'm disappointed in him. Arablady: my main point is how can she get away with saying such things? Her fan base says it all! Localexpat: if he doesn't like the UAE I'll drop him to the airport. Hey..who's mentioning that blokey *uae_rebel here? Give him a candy, he deserves it after all his violent girlfriend cases lol

*drama_div@ Hi there, how's Malaysia? LOL yeah I just wanted to share my opinion and seems some folks agree. Check out those sites and see you around soon div@!

*taunted sorry luv your blog just doesn't fit the bill...better luck next time! tsk, tsk men don't sulk! go drown your sorrows in your homemade chicken ringstinger! (UKHH!)

*clayfuture "I'd rather read the newspaper" lol you liken SDs blog to a newspaper...I'm sure there are loads more who actually treat it as a newspaper. After all, 7Days could do with some competition...

*md yo babe! lol I DO read blogs I don't like reading, as opposed to you. As our mutual darlin uae_rebel said on my post re: 7days "You see, you need to know thine enemy.". As for voicing my opinion when it comes to shitpats and people against a place I love, I have no issue with making it known. I am not on the blogworld to make friends nor get into "muck". And..I'm not fighting in this post. I'm just saying what most ppl think, I guess.

*jim sullivan 'ey up Jim! I'm always up 4 a quickie luv! Hey, you have a valid point. You correctly point out that I stated in my "to blog or not to blog" post that SDdiary makes one "think". I would hope any human with a brain would think whenever they read something. As I mentioned in the first comment to *travelling stranger, just because I dislike a blog doesn't necessarily mean I would discontinue reading it. In the same way, I really dislike 7Days but I do read it. I dislike and disagree with the content and purpose of SDs blog. But it does offer an insight into the way these chip butties think.

SDs blog is a local-bashing medium. She goes around trying to "debate" local issues on Arabs' blogs, giving the impression she's really interested in UAE culture, when the content of her blog serves to bash it. Where's the logic in that? It's a total contradiction and utter hypocrisy.

Sex and Dubai said...

:) very cheeky grin.

Anonymous said...

Princess, you sound like an intelligent girl who's not afraid to debate without being neurotic & emotional, as I've come across so many in the past.

However, the posts on SD's blog is based on facts. So, why would it sound local bashing to you unless you are afraid of her pointing out the truth in the first place?

Sarcasm? Don't tell me that an intelligent sounding girl like you succumbs to sarcasm, well do you? It all amounts to jack, I tell you!

XoXo

P.S.: I like your style!

i*maginate said...

*jim sullivan Thanks a lot, I'm really flattered by your compliments. Well, I'm open to all views and don't mind sharing mine, but there are limits. I can't really speak my mind fully here - I have to consider where I live.

SD's blog is based on a truth that she distorts: propaganda. The only thing I'm "afraid" of is that we will have a multitude more of half-twisted minds twisting even more by reading her blog. The existence of 7days newspaper (are you familiar with the UAE? Read the "whining expats" post if not)has encouraged local-bashing, which is why it's not distributed on Emaar's properties any more. In case you're not familiar with the UAE, being against the country is not allowed. SDs blog contravenes this.

LOL sarcasm...what do you mean "It all amounts to jack"...pray clarify yourself..what's the harm in being sarcastic, and what's the link with intelligence?

"I like your style!" Wow, keep the compliments rolling lol. Thx luv!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're flattered because I aim to please but flattery like everything is a 2-way remember!

SD's blog may sound propaganda, an opinion you're entitled to but what is propaganda? It's a voice of the underground (of which you too claim to be a member) against oppression/suppression. You take off these elements, things get back to normal & right back on track.

Can this be done? Surely, it's inevitable and right on track.

7 Days: I don't read this one, as I prefer the IHT, CSM, Washington Post and NYT. GN is not bad either.

Emaar: It's an organization of convenience - a joke if you please. Key in query in your wunderground network, if there's one - PERIOD

Sarcasm to a person with a larger than life attitude amounts to jackshit is what I meant.

i*maginate said...

*jim sullivan :) re: flattery! open a blog and it really might be a 2 way thing!

You interpret propaganda as "a voice of the underground against oppression/suppression". Its actual definition is: "information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.". This is what SDs blog is about: spreading the distorted truth. What she deliberately does is make it seem like it's not propaganda. This appeals to the masses - the chip butty eaters. ;)

I guess you're right about sarcasm. In little doses, however, it can spice things up...I guess you disagree! Methinks a little aging and maturity will go a long way and my sarcasm might die down a little ;)

Anonymous said...

You finally admit there's truth in SD's blog?

And then you sound so anal using the word 'distorted'!!!!!!

BuJ said...

Lol.. i applaud you on ur honesty!
I know some of the 4 but not all.. however I truly agree with you about the 2nd suspect.. totally weird creature she is!

BuJ said...

PS: I actually like SD's blog and I respect SD a lot. HOWEVER, I think some of her posts are unsuited to the readership, and that causes problems etc..

Maybe with time things will change as they usually do, but she does have her good points and she's good with the facts like Jim mentioned.

CG said...

Interesting. I find a lot of locals are offended with SD's openness, and with good reason. But remember satire and sarcasm are different things.

I am grateful to SD for pulling the UAE blogging community together with the uaecommunity blog. It has enabled all of us to find other blogs and to be able to 'advertise' our own.

I am still of the belief that if a blog, like a person, makes you feel so uncomfortable within, then it is best to not torment yourself, stay away. But bitching is somewhat tacky. OOPS. I forgot, this is your blog and you are entitled to your say. excuse me.

LocalExpat said...

wow I am honoured!! :-)

I am on someone's list. Even though its a hate list :-)

Though, I'm glad to see not that as many people have commented against my blog as SecretDubai's blog.

i*maginate said...

*Buj, SDs blog has hardly anything positive to say about the UAE. Funny that, why is she here in the first place?

*CG I was talking about SDs blog. I wasn't 'bitching' as you eloquently put it. I will continue to read SDs blog if I please, and it's not a torment. I'm pissed off with her being pissed off with the UAE - when does the phrase IYDLITL , that you often use your blog, apply exactly, if not to SD?

You can post whatever comment you like on 'my' blog. I've never deleted comments from anybody so far. I believe blogs should not have comment moderation on them. Unless someone's scared of hearing what others have to say, or personal threats are being made.

*localexpat, hi... well you obviously have balls to comment here, and I give you credit for that. You're welcome here, even though I don't like you. No, I don't hate anybody, there's no point hating people. As opposed to what cg thinks i.e. staying away from people's blogs, I encourage comments, from whoever. I hope you like the free publicity ;)

What I don't like about your blog, posts and opinions is that you appear to me as pretending to appear pretty thick (you're always asking for others views on serious topics as if you're too stupid to have your own, which is untrue from your opinions), and this spells maliciousness to me. The kinds of questions you post reflect this malice - you know the answer to the questions already, and you deliberately set out to stir hatred amongst bloggers towards the UAE.