Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Five Star Etiquette

One of the oldest 5* hotels in the Emirate of Dubai has recently undergone a major renovation in its main restaurant. Upon revisiting this restaurant, whilst conversing with my companion upon being seated, we reminisced the former appearance of the establishment in question.

Waiter suddenly intervened: "Have you been here before?" (as in: is it my discovery that you are returning guests; may I add to your "memorable experience" of returning to our hotel, and do I cash in on contributing to your private conversation?)

My tastebuds decided to sleep at an instant: the thought of a tantalising cocunut shrimp soup was a turn-off when a 3rd unexpectedly joined the crowd.

In case a 5* waiter might be reading this, if I am talking to my dinner companion, please do not listen in to our conversation and interfere: your world-class manager should train you on 5* etiquette.

Thanks, and bon appetit.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

why so mean?

i*maginate said...

What meanness do you spot in this post?

Spot, and I might apologise.

rosh said...

It's true, a waiter can ruin the dinner, if he/she constantly circles around your table, with water -"how's everything sir" - and the constant eyeing. It feels being watched - and often we become quite aware of it all, spoils the ambiance.....hence sort of swallow the food for a quick escpate ASAP.

BuJ said...

ah.. and the name of the hotel is?

hope it's not the Inter>SAS thingie...

hut said...

Focaccia at the Hyatt? Even if not, I had a similar experience there.
I loath these fucking midgets trying to fill up my wine glass whilst I canoodle with the wife (on that occasion last October).

Five* s are way too expensive anyway. I rather go to the newly renovated 'Chalet'.

Ammaro said...

its annoying. equally annoying are those sales-people who follow you when you walk into a store.

dude, if i want your bloody help, ill ask for it, stop stalking me, bitch!

Anonymous said...

maybe he was trying to be friendly :(

Hasina Suliman said...

Hallo you:)

Hasina Suliman said...

Hallo you:)

KEvron said...

as i'm banned at shlemazl's blog, i'm forced to bring ny quectio here:

"I am getting old and fat and I need the 80-something yiddish calories to keep me wealthy and wise."

are yiddish calories different from regular food energy calories? also: i can understand how a low-calorie diet can be beneficial to one's health, but how can this diet promote personal wealth?

KEvron

Para Glider said...

Isn't it strange how waiters can be omnipresent when not wanted, while bar staff so often evaporate just when your glass is empty?

Anonymous said...

Dubai Hotels provides the vacation and business travelers going to Dubai, access to the best rates and availability for Dubai hotels, car rental, and other travel-related services directly through real-time booking.